I left my apartment last week. I have now received some of my security deposit from my landlord and he has deducted over half for damages to the property.

by Guest777  |  7 years, 3 month(s) ago

0 LIKES UnLike

Although he has included an account of what the money has been used for, I do not agree with this at all. Some of these items were already damaged when I moved in. What can I do?

 Tags: Apartment, damages, deducted, deposit, half, landlord, left, property, received, security, week



  1. Guest778

     Your landlord can only make deductions for damage to the property if he carried out inspections when you moved in and out of the property and if the damage is more than normal wear and tear. If you did an inspection when you moved in and noted any existing damage accurately, you can refer your landlord back to this list when questioning the amount he has held back. If you do not have a full record of the damage that existed when you moved in, you can only talk to your landlord initially to see if you can work out a compromise.

     You may also want to write a letter to your landlord, setting out why you do not agree with the deductions, and requesting that your security deposit be returned.

    If you cannot work things our with your landlord, then you can:

    • file a complaint with Service Alberta;
    • apply to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service;
    • take your landlord to court for the amount you believe that he owes you.

Question Stats

Latest activity: 7 years, 3 month(s) ago.
This question has been viewed 457 time(s) and has 1 answer(s).


Share your knowledge and help people by answering questions.