I signed a lease for one year, but I want to move out early.

by Guest776  |  8 years, 4 month(s) ago

0 LIKES UnLike

The landlord told me I must pay rent until the end of the lease. Is there a law or regulation in Alberta that allows me to leave early and pay 2-3 months rent for breaking the lease?

 Tags: lease, move, signed



  1. Guest777

     No. You have a fixed-term tenancy for a period of one year. In Alberta the law states that if you break the lease early, the landlord can claim the rent from you that is owed for the rest of the tenancy. The landlord has to reduce his losses as far as possible, which means that he must try to rent the premises again. It is possible for you to try to negotiate an earlier end time to the lease with your landlord. Be sure to have any agreement you reach in writing and signed by both you and your landlord.

Question Stats

Latest activity: 8 years, 4 month(s) ago.
This question has been viewed 683 time(s) and has 1 answer(s).


Share your knowledge and help people by answering questions.