We moved out of our apartment 20 days ago after giving proper notice.

by Guest777  |  7 years, 6 month(s) ago

0 LIKES UnLike

We haven't heard anything from the rental company about our damage deposit. We have called 4 times requesting a status report and they have not called back. What can we do? Where can we get help?

 Tags: 20, ago, Apartment, days, giving, moved, Notice, proper



  1. Guest778

     You can call Service Alberta at 1-877-427-4088 to find out more about your rights. You can also contact a Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board, if there is one in your area.

    Under the Residential Tenancies Act your landlord has ten days from the time the tenancy ends to deliver the deposit to you. If your landlord is making deductions from the security deposit, then the landlord must send a statement of account, which sets out the reasons for the deductions. If the landlord is unsure how much money will be needed to repair the property, then the landlord can send an estimate statement of account, with a final statement of account to follow within thirty days of the day you gave up possession. The landlord has ten days to deliver the statement to you, which means that the landlord must put the statement in the mail, not that you must have the statement or the security deposit within your hands within ten days.

    As a first step, you may want to simply contact the landlord or the property manager to find out what is going on. This is especially helpful if your landlord is new to being a landlord, or if you aren’t sure that you provided your forwarding address to your landlord. If you call the landlord and do not hear back, or you hear back but don’t like what you hear, then the next step is usually a demand letter.

    A demand letter is a letter that you write to your landlord, demanding that your landlord do something. In this case, you would be demanding that your landlord return your security deposit to you.

    If you have exhausted all other efforts, you can make an application against your landlord. The Act allows you to start an action in court or in the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service for the return of a security deposit. You could also lodge a complaint with Service Alberta, as it is an offence under the Residential Tenancies Act if the landlord fails to deliver a statement of account within ten days. 

Question Stats

Latest activity: 7 years, 6 month(s) ago.
This question has been viewed 554 time(s) and has 1 answer(s).


Share your knowledge and help people by answering questions.